February 19, 2015

Snow Storm & A Busted Pipe

Ugh! That is the word that summerizes my long weekend. 

Saturday morning we headed south to spend the long weekend with our daughter near her college. We arrived at 4 & checked into our hotel. For dinner, we decided to try someplace new so we went El Gran Rodeo. We waited about 15 minutes to get a table which was fantastic considering it was Valentines Day. I think we lucked out by getting there just after 5pm otherwise the wait would have been much longer. The food was pretty good and the service was great.



After dinner we were greeted with an inch or more of snow. We didn't think it was that bad but once we got on the road, everything was icy and slick. We managed to get back to the hotel 45 minutes later. We spent the rest of the evening at the hotel enjoying their hot tub & pool. 

enjoying the hot tub as the snow falls outside
The snow was around for about an hour and stopped. Thankfully on Sunday afternoon the roads were clear. We went out and had pizza for lunch at a place called Sal's. It's a small place with some outdated decor and it's appearance certainly doesn't give a good impression but OMG the pizza was so good. I have had my share of deep dish pizza but this place doesn't hold back on the toppings. 



After lunch we went over to Super Walmart and bought her some groceries.  Later that evening at the hotel, Daughter and I decided to spend the evening doing a workout. I got dressed and had my Garmin footpod on my shoe ready to run a couple miles on the treadmill. We arrived at their "fitness center" and laughed so hard. An ancient elliptical trainer & stationary bike. Our workout in the "fitness room" lasted maybe 15 minutes. We ended up running up and down 3 flights of stairs 5 times. THAT was a workout!


our post flight workout pic
 The weather reports on the radio were calling for 8-12 inches of snow starting as early as 9am on Monday morning. Our plans for Monday were to go to an early afternoon movie but because of the weather reports, we decided to go home no later than 9am. We wanted to get a head start back because our area snow predictions was calling for 6-10 inches starting in the afternoon/early evening  & that would be about when we would have arrived.

I81 near Blacksburg beginning to snow
We left as planned and arrived at about 2:30pm. Thank goodness we got home when we did because it was starting to really come down. 



Tuesday ended up being another day off of work because the Federal Government was closed due to the snow. Yay another day off for me ~ sadly, that happy dance did not last long at all. 

My parents travel south in their RV for the winter months. My Dad has cameras installed in his house that are aimed primarily at all the entry points. They are motion sensitive & will send him an alert by email or text if they detect any movement. He frequently logs into his computer & out of habit will randomly check on his house every couple days. Well on Monday morning, I got a frantic call from my Mom telling me that I needed to get over there right away to turn off the water. I'm like "what do you mean water?" She said they called their neighbor & asked if he would go look at their house because they noticed drywall on part of the floor of their kitchen but couldn't see anything else. They were thinking maybe a tree or something hit the house.  Their neighbor went over there and immediately noticed water flowing out from under their basement door. He looked in the window and saw water everywhere! My Dad's first thought was a busted water pipe. 

I got hubby out of bed and he went outside and shoveled the snow so he could get his car out. I stayed home with little guy to finish making his breakfast. My curiousity got the best of me so little guy and I shoveled the snow and made our way over there too 

When I got there, the first thing I saw was a fountain of water flowing from the basement ceiling to the floor. I was completeley shocked & in utter disbelief at what I was seeing. I started crying. I felt so bad because they had worked so hard to remodel their kitchen last spring. My poor parents. I didn't want to tell them how bad it was but I knew I had too.  



Tuesday and Wednesday were spent cleaning up the house & waiting on a plumber to fix the busted pipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment