February 11, 2015

Playing Tourist in DC

Well it's Hump Day (aka Wednesday) and I am finally writing about what I did on Sunday. The past weekend was so lovely with temps in the mid 60's. I had to get out and do some kind of outdoor activity, I haven't been able to run because I seemed to have strained my calf muscle as a result of my training run last week.

I figured I could get my mileage in by walking, so on Sunday I grabbed my camera and decided to play tourist. I hate driving downtown especially on the weekend, so I took the metro. It takes a bit longer to travel to the city this way but it beats having to deal with wondering where to find a parking spot along with the obnoxious drivers. The metro station was not busy at all.



Once I got off at the Smithsonian Metro stop. The first thing I noticed was all the chain link fencing around the grassy section of the National Mall.

I finally found this sign that explained what was happening. Looks like it will be an eyesore for tourists until the 2017 year. 


Thankfully there were areas in the middle section where you were able to cross over to the other side of the mall without having to go completely around the fenced area. 

I decided to start on one side and walk until I covered at least 3 miles. 

American History Museum

homeless guy begging from some Japanese tourist 
National Gallery of Art ice skating rink
 I found the ice-skating rink. It's funny because I knew there was an ice skating rink in DC but never knew exactly where it was. I may have to take my little guy ice skating one evening. The rink is open until 11pm on Friday & Saturday and until 9pm on Sundays.


Newseum

I got to the Capitol and noticed it was under construction too. I found online that they are completely restoring the dome. Notice the water is completely frozen, the pigeons are just standing on it in the distance.


I've always wanted to ride on one of these open top buses but not in DC. Nothing wrong with DC, but it would be a waste of money since I've seen the city plenty of times. Perhaps in another city.


I had to make a quick tour inside the US Botanical Gardens. I love looking at plants and flowers.

National Museum of the American Indian
This (American Indian Museum) is one of the "newer" museums. It was built in 2004 & I remember reading about it back then. It is now 10 years old & I still have not seen it. I need to put a date on my calendar to go tour it. 

National Museum 1879
 I do not know if this is the actual visitors center for the National Mall or an actual museum. The only sign I saw was etched on the building itself at the top that said National Museum 1879.




It was 5pm when I headed back toward the Metro to ride the train back. I stopped to take a final picture of the Washington Monument and caught this couple running together. I wish my calf and knee would cooperate because I would have liked to be the one doing the running. What a beautiful day it was to go on a run ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment