July 25, 2014

Giving up the Army Ten Miler

Last night I met up with these lovely ladies from our running club and did a 3 mile run.

Why am I bent down looking like I am constipated or something??? I have no freakin idea!
I have purposely cut my running down to just about nothing these past couple months. I am doing this in order to give my right knee some time to "heal". You see, I have been battling this issue with pain/soreness behind the knee. Not behind the knee cap but actually in the back of the leg behind the knee. I noticed it last Fall after I ran the Ridge Runners 10K in November. Whenever the pain got bad I would stop running for a few days to rest & then I would run again & repeat this scenerio over and over. I know, stupid move on my part, but I couldn't just quit running because I was also in the middle of training for the Celebration Half Marathon in January. There was no way on earth that I was going to miss that race. I had convinced my brother to run it with me (his first half marathon) plus I had already purchased my airline tickets to Orlando. Well after that race, I had the RNR Half Marathon & a triathlon in March and the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in April. I am not sure how I managed to finish the RNR half without quitting but I did. It was my worst half marathon time ever. After RNR I eased back a bit and did more biking than running and I was able to run most all of the Cherry Blosssom 10 miler.

After the Cherry Blossom I made an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon & had an X-ray taken. He found no skeletal damage & was guessing that I damaged some connective tissue or possibly torn my hamstring. He wanted me to go do PT for several weeks. Did I go? of course not. I left his office feeling more like a number. Kind of like someone waiting  in line for their number to be called at the deli counter in the grocery store. I want to know what the actual problem is before I go do PT, especially doing weeks of therapy on something that your guessing it is. Duh!

So here we are today & after last nights run everything was great.  I went home, showered & went to bed with no issues until this morning. I got up and immediately noticed it was sore. I am so irritated & pissed off. I am so done with it! I am 90% sure that I am going to sell/transfer my Army 10 miler registration which really SUCKS because I love that race and love running it but I really have no choice. I cannot risk further injury to an already upset knee.

Looking on the bright side, I can still cycle. So I am switiching up my events for the Fall. I am on the hunt for some biking events. I found one in Richmond here that has several ride distances (28, 58, 78 & 101 miles). I would love to do the 58 or 78 mile ride but I need a riding buddy. I could do 29 miles solo but anything beyond that I would prefer some company. I know I have A LOT of crickets who view this blog (LOL) but if there is a non cricket out there who wants to go on a long bike ride let me know :)


2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm You know a century ride is on my bucket list. I'm not ready for a ride this year...but I may be asking for a riding buddy in he future!

    I'm so sorry to hear that your knee is bothering you still!!!! BOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's on my bucket list too. I would like to do the Seagull Century one day. It's really a popular one that happens on the Eastern Shore & the biggest reason it that it is flat. No hills -lol

    ReplyDelete