October 13, 2014

Army Ten-Miler water station 8

I was really, really bummed mad that I had to sell my bib but I knew there was no way I would be able to complete the race without causing further pain or damage to my already crappy leg and since I couldn't run, I went ahead and signed up to volunteer.


The running group I belong to was manning a water station & needed volunteers. I wanted to see my friends at the race & figured this was a way I could do that plus help out. I volunteered at this race in 2012 and it was a lot of fun. I know your thinking that is crazy I mean, who would want to wake up at 4:45am on their day off & go drive 20 minutes to the Pentagon to set up & hand out water for 35,000 runners and then stay after to clean it all up? Yep that would be me.  

The morning started off crazy. I got up on time and was out the door when I realized the parking pass I needed was sitting on the kitchen counter - doh! I had to turn around and drive back to the house which wasted 15 minutes. I ended up getting to the location a little late & they were already in the process of setting up the tables. The morning was chilly but it was not as bad as the last time I volunteered. 

Our group was paired up with the guys stationed at Ft. Myer's Delta Company. We decided to wear colorful wigs so that anyone running with our club (Moms Run This Town) would be able to spot us easily among the other volunteers.


The way it was set up is each table had a couple of large plastic blue Rubbermaid trash cans that were lined with plastic bags. The water truck would come and fill each one up. We used plastic pitchers to dip & fill all the cups that were lined up & stacked on the tables. Some of the trash cans were water filled and others were a gatorade mixture. This was the first time I've seen the water truck come.  In 2012 when I showed up to volunteer they had everything ready so all we had to do was hand out the water. When J & and I volunteered at the Marine Corps 17.75 race, we had a truck stacked with boxes of 1 gallon water cartons and that is how we filled up the cups.


We had a brief meeting with the officer in charge just prior to the race start to go over what our plan of action was. Love this picture with all our colorful wigs standing in front of a bunch of Army guys.


I got one of the guys to take a group picture of us after the meeting.


Loved this Captain America man running with his sheild & how could I not miss Santa Claus running!



And perhaps the most inspiring photo of the day were these ladies. Despite being last, they were determined to finish. We were almost done cleaning up our area when they rounded the corner. All of us stopped and applauded & cheered for them. I think the overwhelming support must have gotten to her. It was quite inspiring to see & truly gives meaning to the phrase "Never Give Up"


EDIT: I forgot about the other SD card in my camera with pictures on it. So here are a few more inspiring photos from the race





No comments:

Post a Comment