August 6, 2014

Being a minority in a 14 mile group ride

Monday evening I was looking online for some cycling groups in my area. Now I do not mind riding alone but it is nice to have some company once in awhile, especially on those longer rides. I figured there HAS to be something since I almost always seem to pass by 4-5 bikers everytime I ride on the local path. Well, I came across a page on Facebook for a bike shop over in Manassas. I was excited to read that they actually host group rides on Tuesday's at 6:30pm. I figured what the heck I will check it out. So yesterday I drove over to their meet up location. When I got there I was a bit initmidated & had 2nd thoughts when all I saw gathered in the parking lot was a large group of men standing with their bikes. I finally saw a couple of ladies & decided to just suck it up and go for it. I am so glad I did because even though we (the ladies) were clearly in the minority it was a fun ride. They counted a total of 54 riders, 4 of which were the ladies. We created quite a sight for the cars on the road. I was able to take some pictures.

sharing the road or maybe taking it over

using up one lane to wait for the traffic light
We rode for about 8 miles through some nice neighborhoods and out to the local airport where we stopped to take a mini break. 

waiting for the others at the rest stop
They were going at a pretty decent pace too, which gave me a good workout, thankfully there were not a lot of hills.


cycing through the local park
I will definitely try to be there again next week. So happy to have found a semi local place for a group ride.



1 comment:

  1. That looks FUN! I wish I didn't live in such a rural area !!!

    ReplyDelete