April 2, 2014

First Triathlon 3-30-14



I am finally doing my race recap while it is still semi fresh on the brain. This recap may be a bit long...

Sunday I did my first Triathlon, the Tune Up Tri by Tri It Now events. It's a very short distance tri that seems to be geared more toward beginners. Your typical triathlon order is swim-bike-run, but this one is done in reverse order run-bike-swim. They do this because it is so early in the season & a wee bit chilly to be running/biking while still wet. You're last leg of the race is swimming 8 laps in the indoor pool to the finish.

I did not do much training for this because I knew the run & bike would be easy for me. I did (at most) about 6 practice swims at my gym. I decided to try to just run & bike at a faster pace to get a decent time & to swim as best as I could. I knew my swim time would take a serious hit but if I had a decent run & bike time then my overall time would average out (at least I hoped that would be the case).

On Saturday I picked up my race packet. In the bag was the bib, bike bib w/twist ties (not sure exactly what its called), a GU gel pack & a Power Bar. The packet pick up was a very easy smooth process, they had a table next to the packet pick up table with brochures, coupons etc. & next to that was a map of the race course. While looking over the map I met a couple ladies (forgot their names) and we started talking about the race & it was their first triathlon as well. This made me feel better knowing that I wasn't the only "newbie". They mentioned they run races, so of course I gave a shout out about our running club (Moms Run This Town) & invited them to join. I went home and started to lay my race attire out so it would be smooth sailing in the wee hours the next morning.




Tri Flat Mama



I had a good nights sleep surprisingly & woke up with no issues. I got a text from my friend "J"  letting me know it was windy & pouring rain. "Oh lovely" was my reply.

On my way to the race I stop to get coffee at Starbucks & it's still windy & pouring rain. I finally get there at 6:30 park the car and go inside to get my timing chip and wait in line for body marking. I met up with my friend & running buddy Jamie. After getting body marked, we racked our bikes and went in the gym for some pre - race announcements where I ran into another friend Tiffany. Due to the weather they had to change the run course since part of it was on grass & because of the rain it would be a mudfest.

The race started a bit late due to the changes. The run was not hard, it started on the street for a little over half a mile and then you ended up running on a sidewalk for the remainder of it. It wasn't that bad, just a bit of congestion & trying to avoid water puddles here and there. It ended up being about 1.6 miles.
I entered the transition area and debated on putting on my cycling shoes or skipping it and just riding with my regular running shoes. I ended up skipping since it was only a 4 mile ride. The ride was not as easy as I had expected, I battled some major headwinds which wore me out. I was totally NOT prepared for how windy it really was. Now I have cycled 4 miles many, many times on flats, hills & wind without any problems but this wind was crazy wind. I just kept pedaling counting in my head (1-10 over and over) & telling myself keep going. As soon as I got to the turnaround where the wind was on my back I hauled BUTT & was able to actually finish the bike portion in a decent time.

Transition from bike to swim was very easy. I racked my bike, took off my long sleeve shirt, socks, shoes and grabbed my goggles and ran to the building to get to the pool. Let me just say it was freezing cold running outside barefoot in your trisuit. More power to those people who do the polar plunges, because I do not see me ever doing one. I finally make it to the pool only to realize that I forgot to grab my swim cap. Oh well, too late. I jumped in and the first thing that comes to mind is this water is very warm. All those days in the gym pool practicing the freestyle stroke suddenly went "bye-bye". WTH is wrong with me?? it was like I had completely forgotten how to do it. It was the weirdest feeling & for some reason I only felt comfortable doing the breast stroke so that is what I did for all 8 laps. I am sure my time would have been better if I just swam using the freestyle stroke. This will be something I need to work on for my next tri.


blurry post race photo


Overall I enjoyed myself despite the awful weather. I don't believe I have caught the triathlon bug yet but I do see myself trying to do another one in the near future. Next up is the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this weekend.


Until next time......:D






 

No comments:

Post a Comment