April 14, 2014

Saying Goodbye




I had to make the hard decision this past weekend to put down our beloved cat named Charm. This blog post is dedicated to her. She was the first cat I had ever owned. I always grew up with dogs & had no desire to own a cat but after the begging &  pleading from my then 4 year old daughter who we will call "S" I gave in and we adopted her. 

She was so cute and tiny, she looked like a small white cotton ball with black specks. She was named after one of S's favorite cereals Lucky Charms. When we adopted her, we were sharing a house with my brother and his beagle named Lucky so it was only fitting to have a Lucky & Charm in the house.

She sure was a funny cat and had some quirky behaviors. Sometimes she would lay on her side with her head next to her water bowl & reach over with her paw and just tap the surface of the water & then bring her paw to her mouth to lick the water. When she was a young adult cat she would lay on the stair steps between the main floor and bedrooms & if anyone stepped on the step that she happen to be on, she would reach out and grab your legs and try to "play" bite your ankles as you went down. I wasn't sure half the time if she was playing or seriously mad at you for invading her space. She loved to be combed. Whenever she'd see someone holding her brush, she would come and do circle 8's between your legs just waiting to be combed. Once the combing began, the loud purring would follow. If I couldn't find her & she was a no show when called by her name, then that usually meant only one thing, that she was sunbathing. Oh how she loved the sun, nothing could get her to move once she found the right spot. She was smart & she had her mischievous side too, she knew not to jump on the table, couch or kitchen counter until she had the house all to herself.



sunbathing in progress

When we got a couch set from my parents a few years ago we wanted to keep the dog and cat off of it. We tried everything from covering it with plastic to placing strips of tape on it but nothing would deter her. I'd pull into the parking space after work and as I walked up the steps, I could spot her looking out from behind the blinds in the front window. As soon as we'd make eye contact her little head would disappear & I knew she was up to no good. I'd walk in the house and there she was stretching her legs out on the hard wood floor trying to look all innocent. I'd go and check the spot on the couch that looked "ruffled" and sure enough it would be nice and warm from where she was sleeping.




Charm with her sister Dakota




relaxing in her bed
I could go on and on with funny stories about her but this would turn into a very long post.

I just want to say thank you Charm. I was blessed to have had the privilege of spending 14+ wonderful years with you my furry friend & companion. You will be greatly missed. I know one day we will meet again when it's my turn to cross that rainbow bridge. Save a seat stair step for me because we will have lots of catching up to do when we meet again.




R.I. P. Charm (1999-2014)





No comments:

Post a Comment